This comprehensive venepuncture / phlebotomy training will enable participants to develop the theoretical and practical skills required to gain competence in venepuncture / phlebotomy.
During the practical phlebotomy training workshop learners will undergo supervised instruction and practice using training manikins.
Learners will then undertake a simulated competency assessment and short theory test.
On successful completion learners who are new to venepuncture are required to gain competency under clinical supervision within their own workplace: competency frameworks will be provided.
All learners will receive a CPD certificate.
- Target audience: nurses, health care assistants, support workers pharmacists, phlebotomists and other health care staff involved in venepuncture / phlebotomy.
- Level: suitable for those new to venepuncture as well as those requiring an update.
- Course duration: 1 days
- CPD hours: 8 hours
- Maximum no of delegates: 12
- Cost: £106 & VAT
Venepuncture / Phlebotomy training learning outcomes include:
- Understand the professional and legal issues surrounding venepuncture / phlebotomy.
- Understand venous anatomy and suitability of vessels for venepuncture.
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of vein selection criteria.
- Awareness of available equipment: vacuumed systems, ‘butterflies’ etc.
- Practical workshop – instruction, supervision, hints and tips.
- Demonstration of safe and competent procedure.
- Understand the common complications, e.g. haematoma, extravasation, needlestick injury etc.
- Awareness of practical steps to minimise risks to the patient and member of staff.
Course content includes:
- Overview of professional aspects of venepuncture.
- Overview of the venous anatomy of the human arm and leg and criteria for vein selection.
- Equipment available – review of the common blood sampling and safety devices available.
- Practical techniques under expert supervision using the most up-to-date training manikins available.
- Complications of venepuncture.
- Theory test and simulated competency assessment.
We are the top ranked veneuncture / phlebotomy training on Skills for Health’s Skills Platform