- Understand the principles of safe moving and handling.
- Knowledge of legislation surrounding moving and handling.
- Review postural analysis tools to assist with risk assessment.
- Understand the link between moving and handling, infection control and tissue viability.
- Demonstrate a proficient skills level of a key selection of moving and handling techniques relating to your own work setting including: the safe use of mechanical patient hoists and related sling application; the safe use of slide sheets and the sit to stand transfer (trainer only for webinars)
- The principles of safe moving and handling of people.
- Legislation relating to moving and handling – Health & Safety at Work Act 1974 and Manual Handling Operations Regulations (MHOR) 1992.
- Current guidance on safe practice.
- ‘Bad practices’.
- Spinal mechanics and back care.
- Risk assessment.
- Safe load management.
- Applying principles to lifting, lowering, pulling & pushing, carrying and supporting.
Alastair Robertson is an experienced health and social care training professional.
With 18 years’ experience as a qualified adult educator, he has worked with Charles Bloe Training for over 4 years. As well as the health and social care sectors, Alastair has also worked in prison and criminal justice settings and has experience of working in community mental health and statutory social work sectors. Alastair has written one of the first stress management debrief training programmes and has facilitated it across international settings.
His academic achievements include a Masters degree in psychology and mental health and multiple qualifications in management, training practice and social care certifications. During his leisure time, Alastair likes to spend time travelling in his motor home with his family and two adorable dogs.