This comprehensive one-day workshop will enable participants to develop the theoretical and practical skills required to gain competence in venepuncture (phlebotomy) and peripheral IV cannulation.
During the practical workshop learners will undergo supervised instruction and practice using training manikins. On successful completion learners who are new to venepuncture / cannulation are required to gain competency under clinical supervision within their own workplace: competency frameworks will be provided.
- Cost: Cost: £95 + VAT Venepuncture and cannulation; £78 + VAT venepuncture only
- All learners will receive a CPD certificate and downloadable handouts
Target audience: nurses, health care assistants, support workers pharmacists, phlebotomists and other health care staff involved in venepuncture / phlebotomy.
Level: suitable for those new to venepuncture / cannulation as well as those requiring an update.
- Course duration: 1 day
- CPD hours: 7 hours compromising of theoretical & practical workshop, simulated competency assessment and theory test
- Maximum no of delegates: 15
Llearning outcomes include:
- Understand the professional and legal issues surrounding venepuncture /cannulation.
- Understand venous anatomy and suitability of vessels for venepuncture / cannulation.
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of vein selection criteria.
- Awareness of available equipment: vacuumed systems, ‘butterflies’ etc.
- Practical workshop – instruction, supervision, hints and tips.
- Demonstration of safe and competent procedure.
- Understand the common complications, e.g. haematoma, extravasation, needlestick injury etc.
- Awareness of practical steps to minimise risks to the patient and member of staff.
Course content includes:
- Overview of professional aspects of venepuncture and cannulation.
- Overview of the venous anatomy of the human arm and leg and criteria for vein selection.
- Equipment available – review of the common blood sampling / cannulation and safety devices available.
- Practical techniques under expert supervision using the most up-to-date training manikins available.
- Complications of venepuncture and cannulation.